Fly-Pie 7 Released!
Fly-Pie 7 has been released with support for GNOME Shell 40+ and a completely rewritten menu editor!
Why a new Menu Editor?
Porting most parts of Fly-Pie to GNOME Shell 40 was easy.
However, serious issues arose when I tried to port the preferences dialog to GTK4.
Due to a bug in GTK4, drag’n’drop in the
GtkTreeView is currently broken.
Apparently, this will not get fixed anytime soon as the
GtkTreeView is considered more or less deprecated.
Therefore, I decided to completely rewrite the menu editor.
It does not use a
GtkTreeView any more, but a custom container widget.
To celebrate this, I created a video clip:
The list below contains the complete change set for this new version.
- Port to GNOME 40+: Fly-Pie 7 has been tested on Fedora 34 and Fedora 35 which use GNOME Shell 40 and GNOME Shell 41.beta respectively.
- Due to the massive changes to the codebase, this version is not compatible with GNOME 3.3x.
- GNOME 40 makes some previously required workarounds to remove visual artifacts obsolete. This improves menu performance significantly!
- WYSIWYG Menu Editor: Due to this bug, the old TreeView-based menu editor did not work under Gtk4. Therefore I choose to create a new menu editor from scratch!
- The menu items in the new editor are arranged in a circle, exactly in the same directions as they will show up in the real menu.
- The new menu editor fully supports drag and drop: You can reorder items, copy items (at least on Wayland, see this bug), and drop things from outside into the menu editor.
- To simplify moving menu items around, there is a Stash Area at the bottom of the menu editor. You can drop menu items there and re-use them later.
- The preferences dialog opens much faster on Gtk4 than it did on Gtk3. Thank you, GNOME devs!
- A warning will now be shown when the user imports a corrupt menu configuration.
- The default menu has been tweaked to be useful with horizontal workspaces.
- The Custom Menu now uses a pencil as icon to emphasize that it’s editable.
- The documentation for translators has been improved significantly. For instance, there are now screenshots available at Weblate for most strings.
- Fix Orchis theme. There were some issues with the center item cropping.
- Symbolic icons are now colored correctly in the menu editor.